[P4-announce] Onward and Upward: P4.org joins ONF and LF

Nate Foster jnfoster at cs.cornell.edu
Mon Mar 19 15:34:10 EDT 2018

*Dear P4 Members,As you know, P4 has achieved broad adoption in the
networking industry with multiple P4 targets and a rich set of open source
P4 programs, compilers, APIs, tools and test frameworks. P4 continues to
grow from strength to strength, with technical contributions from a large
number of companies, universities and individuals. With about 100 member
organizations, many of whom are making active contributions, P4 has reached
a point where to grow even more we need the help of a larger organization.
 On Friday, we announced <https://p4.org/p4/p4-joins-onf-and-lf.html> that
P4 will become a project under the ONF/Linux Foundation umbrellas. What
this means is that P4 will continue to be self-contained and self-managed
project (with the same GitHub repositories and permissive open-source
license), but it will enjoy many of the benefits of the large membership
and extensive staff at both organizations. Basically, it will help P4 grow
and scale more efficiently. To be clear, there will be no change to the
day-to-day activities of P4.org and P4 community in terms of Working Groups
and technical contributors. And importantly, membership for P4.org will
remain free. We are excited to be working together with ONF and LF to build
on the synergies brought forth by this collaboration.  I'd like to thank
all of the developers who have brought us this far and the chairs of our
working groups who have provided leadership for the community. I'm looking
forward to accelerated innovation in networking enabled by P4 and our
strong and committed developer community.*

Sincerely,
-N