[P4-announce] P4 Brainstorming Meetings

Nate Foster jnfoster at cs.cornell.edu
Tue Jun 9 10:27:04 EDT 2020

Dear P4 Enthusiasts,

The Language Design Working Group (LDWG) is soliciting input from the P4
community to inform thinking about the next major revision of the language.

To this end, we are organizing a series of extra meetings over the summer
to brainstorm and prioritize our design work. We are open to all kinds of
proposals but we imagine that presentations will have the most impact if
they are short and to the point (probably 10-15 minutes at most) and either
informed by experience (i.e., with code examples to illustrate specific
pain points or potential use cases) or with concrete proposals for new
features to add to the language (e.g., "let's add casts from tuples and
lists, because this would make certain parsers easier to write").
Conversely, philosophical manifestos (e.g., "P4 should be more
declarative") or vague proposals ("P4 should be more like TensorFlow") are
unlikely to move the conversation forward in an efficient manner.

If you would like to make a presentation, please write to the LDWG
co-chairs, Nate Foster and Mihai Budiu.

Everyone else, please join us! Our meetings are open to all. We make
decisions by consensus and based on technical merit. It's important to have
a diverse group of perspectives as we all work to make the language better.

You can find a meeting schedule here:

https://calendar.google.com/calendar?cid=ajR0bzQycnNqcXRma3MwcWI3aWFoOGdvdXNAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ

Best wishes,
Nate & Mihai