[P4-Apps] Telemetry v1.0 candidate specifications

Jeongkeun Lee jklee at barefootnetworks.com
Wed Apr 11 02:09:49 EDT 2018

Dear members,

During the review period, we introduced some changes to the INT draft.

1) Removed L4 dest port option for INT over TCP/UDP encap.
>From the previous WG meetings, it became obvious no one would change L4 dst
port in production deployments, since doing so would impact ECMP or ACL
behaviors.

2) Removed INT Tail header from INT over TCP/UDP encap.
The Tail header was introduced as an optimization to additionally carry IP
protocol value and to restore original L4 dst port or DSCP values.
The need to store the original L4 dst port is gone as we remove the L4 dest
port option.
We created a field to carry the original DSCP in the INT shim header.
The need to additionally carry IP protocol field is not critical and we
deem it doesn't justify keeping the whole 32b tail header.

3) Fixed section references and clarified code comments (thanks to Bapi's
input).

4) applied the same look and feel with p4-16 spec (Nate's suggestion)

These changes are implemented in this PR: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-a
pplications/pull/38

Please let us know if you see any more room to improve the specs. We plan
to tag v1.0 at the end of this week.

Thank you,
JK and Mukesh