[P4-Apps] P4.org Announces John L. Hennessy as P4 Workshop Keynote Speaker

P4.org p4 at p4.org
Wed Mar 13 13:05:39 EDT 2019

Dear P4 Community:

P4.org is delighted to announce that John L. Hennessy will be the
keynote speaker for the 2019 P4 Workshop. John is well-known for his
academic contributions to computer architecture, including the
influential MIPS project, which led to the broad adoption of RISC
architectures in industry and the widely-used textbook "Computer
Architecture: A Quantitative Approach," co-authored with David Patterson
from Berkeley. He served as 10th president of Stanford University from
2000-2016 and currently serves as non-executive chairman of Alphabet.
John has been honored with numerous awards, including the 2017 Turing
Award, joint with Patterson.

The abstract for his talk can be found below:

_Title_: The End of Moore's Law and Faster General Purpose Processors,
and a New Road Forward
__
_Abstract_: After 40 years of remarkable progress in general-purpose
processors, a variety of factors are combining to lead to a much slower
rate of performance growth in the future. These limitations arise from
three different areas: IC technology, architectural inefficiencies, and
changing applications and usage. The end of Dennard scaling and the
slowdown in Moore's Law will require much more efficient architectural
approaches than we have relied on. Although progress on general-purpose
processors may hit an asymptote,  domain specific architectures may be
the one attractive path for important classes of problems, at least
until we invent a flexible and competitive replacement for silicon.

We are looking forward to seeing you on May 1st at Stanford!

Best,
P4.org