[P4-arch] P4 TM SubWG Meeting 2 Minutes

Steve Ibanez sibanez at stanford.edu
Thu Nov 1 18:11:37 EDT 2018

Hi Everyone,

I've added the meeting minutes and slides into the google drive folder [1].

Some food for thought:

   - It seems like a key extern that is currently missing from P4 is one
   that computes time averages. The P4 program provides samples and the extern
   returns the average of the current and previous samples over some
   configured time interval.
   - The averaging interval would be configured by the control plane. If
   the interval is over a longer period of time then the P4 program would be
   able to extract fairly stable flow rate estimates (in fact this would
   probably replace meter externs). If the averaging interval is smaller then
   the P4 program could accurately perform microburst detection
   <https://www.cs.princeton.edu/~jrex/papers/snappy18.pdf>.
   - This would also allow the buffer extern that we discussed today to
   expose only instantaneous queue size values and the P4 program can turn
   those samples into an average if desired.

Best,
Steve

[1] https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oys0EJUC_UR9vTCRBFCVBEFH4ka5x8af