[P4-arch] Announcement: P4->ONF Transition

P4.org Membership membership at p4.org
Tue Apr 9 11:00:28 EDT 2019

**

*Dear P4 Community:*

*

Today, April 9th, 2019, we are excited to announce that P4.org has
combined with the Open Networking Foundation (ONF
<https://www.opennetworking.org/>).  Originally announced
<https://www.opennetworking.org/news-and-events/press-releases/p4-joins-onf-and-linux-foundation/>in
March of 2018, we are pleased to report that the transaction has been
completed.  As of today, rather than being an independent organization,
P4 is now an active project hosted by the ONF.   The strategy of joining
ONF is based on the synergies we see and the complementary visions we
are pursuing. ONF is dedicated to P4’s mission, P4 will benefit from the
strength and community of the ONF, and ONF will aim to strategically
align P4 activities with the Linux Foundation to advance our shared
mission of promoting open source as a tool for transformation and
innovation.

While this is exciting news, our work and mission will remain
business-as-usual.  Specifically,

  *

    All the P4 properties are still active (like p4.org,
    github.com/p4lang/, etc.)

  *

    All P4 mailing lists remain active

  *

    All P4 working groups remain active and under the same leadership

  *

    All P4 members can continue to work on all P4 related activities

  *

    All P4 software remains under Apache 2.0 license

  *

    As before, no fees are required to continue to participate in all P4
    activities

As a part of this transition, we have also created a governance model
for the P4 project to make it clear how decisions will be made in the
future. P4 will be managed by a Technical Steering Team (TST) and a
chief architect that will be appointed by the TST. Members of the
initial TST include the current P4.org board (Nate Foster, Nick McKeown,
Jennifer Rexford, and Amin Vahdat) and the ONF Executive Director (Guru
Parulkar). In the future, active contributors to the P4 project will
elect TST members, as described here
<https://github.com/p4lang/governance/wiki/P4-TST-Charter>.

Legal details

To make this transition, a few legal details are taking place.  We want
to let you know about these, but nothing requires that you take action.
  Specifically:

  *

    Your P4 Membership Agreement has been assigned to the ONF

  *

    Your P4 Membership Agreement will be terminated in 30 days

        We are waiting 30 days to satisfy the 30 notice requirement in
        the agreement

        Pursuant to the terms of the P4 Membership Agreement, the terms
        of your P4 Contributor License Agreement (CLA) will survive
        termination of the Membership Agreement and the licensees you
        granted under the CLA remain binding and apply to both ONF and
        recipients of software distributed by ONF

  *

    Your organization has automatically been granted Collaborator status
    with ONF

        No paperwork or action is required on your part to receive this
        added recognition

        If your company is already an ONF member, you’ll be upgraded to
        Collaborating Innovator status

        Note that while individuals are not eligible for ONF
        Collaborator status, the ONF structure still fully supports your
        participation in all P4 activities including developing code,
        contributing to working groups, voting in TST elections and
        running for governance seats.

  *

    We recommend that you forward this letter to your legal counsel for
    your records.

If you don’t wish to automatically participate in this transition, you
have the option to refuse Collaborator recognition.  Should this be your
wish, please just let us know.

Exciting Things to Come

P4 remains as open as before.  No new barriers are being erected to
restrict or inhibit participation.  To the contrary, we are excited to
now be partnering with the ONF and to be benefiting from the larger
community and the breadth of open source activities being championed by
ONF.  ONF’s Next-Gen SDN initiative and Stratum project are some of the
leading open source projects leveraging P4, so the alignment we are
pursuing is already producing results.

We’ll share more as developments progress.  And as always, please let us
know if you have any questions.

Sincerely, your P4 leadership team,

Nate

Nick