[P4-design] Transit Tags and Egress Processing

Haoyu song haoyu.song at huawei.com
Tue Aug 4 22:34:39 EDT 2015

Good point. But I'm not sure P4 program should care how the transit tag (we call it frame header) is formatted since this is heavily target dependent.  In our implementation, the compiler does need to analyze the program to learn what info needs to be transited form ingress to egress and then encode and pack the info in to a frame header. The egress will need to use offset and length to retrieve the info, but this is transparent to P4 program.  This leads to my first proposal: If for each packet, its egress control flow can be designated, it will help the compiler to make the most efficient frame header encoding. This is because for each egress control flow, only a part of metadata is needed and the frame header can be overloaded.

Now I'm thinking to separate the ingress control flow too. This can be done easily because each parse tree branch can return to a different control flow. In this case, for each service, we will naturally have a pair of ingress and egress control flows. There are some common control flows that can be included by the service control flow as modules.

In the second "direct" table proposal I made yesterday, the modification is very simple. For tables that can be implemented as a direct table, in the table "reads" fields, just replace the key word "exact" with "direct". The following example is from P4 "switch" demo. Apparently, here the nexthop_index is just a index to a direct table. It's unnecessary and inefficient to implement it with a hash table. If we don't explicitly make it a direct table, the compiler won't be able to figure out this optimization opportunity.

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D0CEEC.9B4776A0]

I'll gather more information to support the necessity of embedded parsing. This can be done by either adding new primitives or reusing the current Parser structure but in a distributed way.

Haoyu