[P4-design] Naming of Parts

Gordon Brebner Gordon.Brebner at xilinx.com
Fri Aug 7 17:18:12 EDT 2015

I've already put several dollars into the overflowing pot, but here's another couple of cents.

Monday's discussion helped me realize why my email remarks on terminology last week were almost a mirror image of what was proposed.  The enlightenment came through my attention being drawn to something I already knew, in fact: that the term "module" has a significantly different interpretation in typical hardware languages from in typical software languages.  And the proposed use reflected the hardware world interpretation.  Now P4 is aimed at the "network engineer", so a top-level question is whether such a person might expect the language to follow more hardware like conventions or more software like conventions.  On balance, I'd suspect the latter would be more appropriate.  So I'd incline to think of a "module" (or a "package" for that matter) to have the usual software interpretation (as in the P4 code base language Python), as basically a "collection of useful stuff" that shares a namespace.  The signature of a module is just the collection of all the types of the things in the module.  I think that this may be what's mentioned as "broad modularity" in the notes below, but must confess that I lapsed and missed hearing that particular remark in context on Monday.

Continuing in the software-style mindset, then objects are certainly things that can be instanced.  The blackbox use in the proposal can perfectly well be modelled via objects, but I realized on Monday that the important aspect (kind-of obvious given it's a black box of course) is that the object type declaration contains abstract methods only (i.e., no implementations of the methods).  My point, illustrated by email examples last week, is that the various pieces of a P4 system can also be modelled by objects: the current syntax does not explicitly mention objects or methdds, but the various special-case pieces of syntax are essentially defining (or completing) methods for these objects.  In short, I think that the "abstract" part is more important than the "object" part when talking of black boxes, so probably the thing to be emphasized in the syntax.  Then we might feel more confident about treating things with the proposed "module" syntax as also having (non-abstract) "object" syntax.

Maybe Peter has a point, and talking of "components" would be more neutral.  Then one can talk about their "interfaces", and be less loaded towards methods on one software hand, and wires on the other hardware hand.

Gordon.

p.s. Also thanks to Peter for reminding me of: http://www.solearabiantree.net/namingofparts/namingofparts.html