[P4-design] Portable Switch Architecture proposal

Nick McKeown nickm at stanford.edu
Fri Nov 4 12:24:27 EDT 2016

Thanks, Calin and team. I think this is a very good direction to go. We
need to find the right blend of portability, while still allowing for
different architectures. Having a base set of functions created for a
baseline/portable architecture - features that we can expect to work on
a variety of forwarding planes - will let different teams write code
they can expect to re-use (completely or mostly). I think we're all
conscious of not trying to boil the ocean; the proposal seems like a
good step forward.

Over time, I expect/hope there will be other baseline architectures for
P4-16, representing different use cases. For now, I like the idea of
focusing on something as you propose, to get the ball rolling and help
us build a community together.

As for a name, I think Portable or Baseline or PISA are all good. PISA
has the advantage of being known already and used in the context of
P4-14, and so would be my preference. It would also help PISA to be a
generic name for an architecture, rather than just a name for one design.

Thanks

- Nick