[P4-design] toward P4_16 closure

Changhoon Kim chang at barefootnetworks.com
Thu Oct 13 02:19:16 EDT 2016

Hi P4 designers,

As we're all working busily together to release P4_16 in time, I'd like to
propose a few ideas to facilitate our on-going review process.

- Let's freeze the feature-request list for P4_16. Starting this Friday
(Oct/14), I will tag all new git issues for p4lang/p4-spec with the "Post
P4_16" milestone. The only exception will be bug reports for the prototype
P4_16 compiler frontend (p4lang/p4c).

- We originally planned to close all the issues and produce a pre-release
version of the P4_16 spec by Oct/24, but it seems we need a few more
meetings to be able to finish up our work. I've scheduled the following
face-to-face meetings. Note each meeting will be 2hrs long (as opposed to
1.5hrs) starting with the next one. Let's try to finish all technical
discussions by Nov/7 and leave Nov/21 for buffer.

   - Oct/24, Monday, 1:30 - 3:30pm, Gates 300
   - Nov/7, Monday, 1:30 - 3:30pm, Gates 300
   - Nov/21, Monday, 1:30 - 3:30pm, Gates 104

- Starting next meeting, let's employ a "close-by-default" policy.
Representatives who want to discuss particular git issues must explicitly
propose those issues by Friday the week before the meeting. Issues that are
not explicitly proposed for discussion will be automatically resolved and
won't be considered further for P4_16.

Thanks a lot for your contributions!

-- Chang