[P4-design] jargon: target, architecture, target architecture

Gordon Brebner Gordon.Brebner at xilinx.com
Wed Oct 19 15:44:29 EDT 2016

I hadn’t really given this much thought before, but it drew me to have a quick look at the (146, according to Word) uses of “target” in the draft spec.

My interpretation of “target architecture” had hitherto been “the P4 architecture that is the target of the compiler”, so “target” in use as an adjective in the same way as it’s used in “target audience” in the first paragraph of the spec.  This is subtly different from the interpretation below, which is “a P4 architecture on the target technology”.

I’m okay with the suggested simplification below, with a slight preference for “P4 architecture” over just “architecture”, which could be a bit generic with the possible confusion Nate mentions.

If I was going further, then I might put “technology” rather than “target”, and then ensure that any remaining uses of “target” added something helpful in context to indicate that the P4 architecture or the technology were the target of the P4 compilation.

Gordon.