[P4-design] toward P4_16 closure

Mihai Budiu mbudiu at vmware.com
Thu Oct 20 13:51:29 EDT 2016


If anyone would like to veto closing any of the issues marked as "should be solved", please make your voice heard. Otherwise we will assume that the filer of the issue is the one who determines the actual consensus. I believe we have closed several issues in a similar fashion already.

Mihai

From: Ben Pfaff
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2016 10:49 AM
To: Mihai Budiu <mbudiu at vmware.com>; Changhoon Kim <chang at barefootnetworks.com>; p4-design at lists.p4.org
Subject: Re: [P4-design] toward P4_16 closure


OK, I thought that we were only supposed to close issues after coming to consensus.  If it's OK to close one's own issues then that's fine with me too.

________________________________
From: Mihai Budiu
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2016 10:25:18 AM
To: Ben Pfaff; Changhoon Kim; p4-design at lists.p4.org<mailto:p4-design at lists.p4.org>
Subject: RE: [P4-design] toward P4_16 closure

I think that ideally the people who have filed the issues should be able to decide (unless there is a veto for solving from someone else). I am always available to offer clarifications on why I expect each of them to have been solved - we can use personal email for such pointed questions if we don't want to pollute the mailing list. If the original filer cannot decide we should take a poll.

Mihai

From: Ben Pfaff
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2016 10:21 AM
To: Mihai Budiu <mbudiu at vmware.com<mailto:mbudiu at vmware.com>>; Changhoon Kim <chang at barefootnetworks.com<mailto:chang at barefootnetworks.com>>; p4-design at lists.p4.org<mailto:p4-design at lists.p4.org>
Subject: Re: [P4-design] toward P4_16 closure


Would it be worthwhile to just take a poll on the "should be solved" ones so that we can close them without spending valuable in-person time?

________________________________
From: P4-design <p4-design-bounces at lists.p4.org<mailto:p4-design-bounces at lists.p4.org>> on behalf of Mihai Budiu <mbudiu at vmware.com<mailto:mbudiu at vmware.com>>
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2016 10:14:24 AM
To: Changhoon Kim; p4-design at lists.p4.org<mailto:p4-design at lists.p4.org>
Subject: Re: [P4-design] toward P4_16 closure

I would like to discuss the following issues at the next meeting; most of them are relatively small and confined.

Mihai

https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/86<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_p4lang_p4-2Dspec_issues_86&d=CwMGaQ&c=Sqcl0Ez6M0X8aeM67LKIiDJAXVeAw-YihVMNtXt-uEs&r=78FYnuf8DslFe4c2GK4MHknVEwQha6OIq6gNbseDl1E&m=5Y8zu4bUAYmfV0mOrVJnDkL5o8oWAf9aJjp0JmiKPfg&s=VtZZskjQdC_Gt2jnGwZ4jPZYHAtAm0arcT-VMmbGpxc&e=> (Remove some annotations from the spec)
https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/78<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_p4lang_p4-2Dspec_issues_78&d=CwMGaQ&c=Sqcl0Ez6M0X8aeM67LKIiDJAXVeAw-YihVMNtXt-uEs&r=78FYnuf8DslFe4c2GK4MHknVEwQha6OIq6gNbseDl1E&m=5Y8zu4bUAYmfV0mOrVJnDkL5o8oWAf9aJjp0JmiKPfg&s=8Q1dvrjrKGQ4W1ill99a-tmq10fZtYsS01UlN1qVNuI&e=> (prototypes) - should be solved by new commits
https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/77<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_p4lang_p4-2Dspec_issues_77&d=CwMGaQ&c=Sqcl0Ez6M0X8aeM67LKIiDJAXVeAw-YihVMNtXt-uEs&r=78FYnuf8DslFe4c2GK4MHknVEwQha6OIq6gNbseDl1E&m=5Y8zu4bUAYmfV0mOrVJnDkL5o8oWAf9aJjp0JmiKPfg&s=EAZQ3lKUIDby9qNBL0ajFohMNWUEzABeYW4GAY3GCgE&e=> (namespaces and visibility) - should be solved
https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/63<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_p4lang_p4-2Dspec_issues_63&d=CwMGaQ&c=Sqcl0Ez6M0X8aeM67LKIiDJAXVeAw-YihVMNtXt-uEs&r=78FYnuf8DslFe4c2GK4MHknVEwQha6OIq6gNbseDl1E&m=5Y8zu4bUAYmfV0mOrVJnDkL5o8oWAf9aJjp0JmiKPfg&s=cwmjeCAcrALj9wzRgHNV1mGzkI5ghyQWbTORIBFZupI&e=> (Checksum definitions) - should be solved
https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/59<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_p4lang_p4-2Dspec_issues_59&d=CwMGaQ&c=Sqcl0Ez6M0X8aeM67LKIiDJAXVeAw-YihVMNtXt-uEs&r=78FYnuf8DslFe4c2GK4MHknVEwQha6OIq6gNbseDl1E&m=5Y8zu4bUAYmfV0mOrVJnDkL5o8oWAf9aJjp0JmiKPfg&s=SKd0HJICIGO0y97OsLXv7ScQzE4Qc5zOl5ovEdcaP04&e=> (tuple types) - should be solved
https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/54<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_p4lang_p4-2Dspec_issues_54&d=CwMGaQ&c=Sqcl0Ez6M0X8aeM67LKIiDJAXVeAw-YihVMNtXt-uEs&r=78FYnuf8DslFe4c2GK4MHknVEwQha6OIq6gNbseDl1E&m=5Y8zu4bUAYmfV0mOrVJnDkL5o8oWAf9aJjp0JmiKPfg&s=H-MpimV6lt2IGMlIj__eLUluLKaWamHt01XknfE9zWY&e=> (reserved annotation names)
https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/48<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_p4lang_p4-2Dspec_issues_48&d=CwMGaQ&c=Sqcl0Ez6M0X8aeM67LKIiDJAXVeAw-YihVMNtXt-uEs&r=78FYnuf8DslFe4c2GK4MHknVEwQha6OIq6gNbseDl1E&m=5Y8zu4bUAYmfV0mOrVJnDkL5o8oWAf9aJjp0JmiKPfg&s=zlEi1kpgF7nNpu6AyAq0ld8JKfA_Rf2YXrlxJKIiBVo&e=> (concurrency model) - should be solved
https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/43<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_p4lang_p4-2Dspec_issues_43&d=CwMGaQ&c=Sqcl0Ez6M0X8aeM67LKIiDJAXVeAw-YihVMNtXt-uEs&r=78FYnuf8DslFe4c2GK4MHknVEwQha6OIq6gNbseDl1E&m=5Y8zu4bUAYmfV0mOrVJnDkL5o8oWAf9aJjp0JmiKPfg&s=1feP3XFbh6OLrfYRIoWstMabINPnNpDTnXde6cWvlWw&e=> (copy-in copy-out) - should be solved
https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/60<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_p4lang_p4-2Dspec_issues_60&d=CwMGaQ&c=Sqcl0Ez6M0X8aeM67LKIiDJAXVeAw-YihVMNtXt-uEs&r=78FYnuf8DslFe4c2GK4MHknVEwQha6OIq6gNbseDl1E&m=5Y8zu4bUAYmfV0mOrVJnDkL5o8oWAf9aJjp0JmiKPfg&s=lbiNdF2yLXGnEq-9PEjlzqmgQfiW9GZLWl3aX_axo7I&e=> (tuples and calling conventions)
https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/58<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_p4lang_p4-2Dspec_issues_58&d=CwMGaQ&c=Sqcl0Ez6M0X8aeM67LKIiDJAXVeAw-YihVMNtXt-uEs&r=78FYnuf8DslFe4c2GK4MHknVEwQha6OIq6gNbseDl1E&m=5Y8zu4bUAYmfV0mOrVJnDkL5o8oWAf9aJjp0JmiKPfg&s=ri6JIIfTUZjJddVFdJh0FjyzQ-p0ygIgVVGlmWKMn5E&e=> (switch vs. select)
https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/55<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_p4lang_p4-2Dspec_issues_55&d=CwMGaQ&c=Sqcl0Ez6M0X8aeM67LKIiDJAXVeAw-YihVMNtXt-uEs&r=78FYnuf8DslFe4c2GK4MHknVEwQha6OIq6gNbseDl1E&m=5Y8zu4bUAYmfV0mOrVJnDkL5o8oWAf9aJjp0JmiKPfg&s=TQLaKTYNgWfXR6bV4X_zJiIUOE60hr0viPP60g0C23c&e=> (parser and control cross invocations)

From: P4-design [mailto:p4-design-bounces at lists.p4.org] On Behalf Of Changhoon Kim
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 11:19 PM
To: p4-design at lists.p4.org<mailto:p4-design at lists.p4.org>
Cc: Amin Vahdat <vahdat at google.com<mailto:vahdat at google.com>>
Subject: [P4-design] toward P4_16 closure

Hi P4 designers,

As we're all working busily together to release P4_16 in time, I'd like to propose a few ideas to facilitate our on-going review process.

- Let's freeze the feature-request list for P4_16. Starting this Friday (Oct/14), I will tag all new git issues for p4lang/p4-spec with the "Post P4_16" milestone. The only exception will be bug reports for the prototype P4_16 compiler frontend (p4lang/p4c).

- We originally planned to close all the issues and produce a pre-release version of the P4_16 spec by Oct/24, but it seems we need a few more meetings to be able to finish up our work. I've scheduled the following face-to-face meetings. Note each meeting will be 2hrs long (as opposed to 1.5hrs) starting with the next one. Let's try to finish all technical discussions by Nov/7 and leave Nov/21 for buffer.
?         Oct/24, Monday, 1:30 - 3:30pm, Gates 300
?         Nov/7, Monday, 1:30 - 3:30pm, Gates 300
?         Nov/21, Monday, 1:30 - 3:30pm, Gates 104
- Starting next meeting, let's employ a "close-by-default" policy. Representatives who want to discuss particular git issues must explicitly propose those issues by Friday the week before the meeting. Issues that are not explicitly proposed for discussion will be automatically resolved and won't be considered further for P4_16.

Thanks a lot for your contributions!

-- Chang
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.p4.org/pipermail/p4-design_lists.p4.org/attachments/20161020/4bbc88b6/attachment-0002.html>


More information about the P4-design mailing list