[P4-design] Diagram of where P4_16 language constructs can be used

Andy Fingerhut (jafinger) jafinger at cisco.com
Wed Apr 5 12:15:24 EDT 2017

I still don’t have package instantiations mentioned anywhere, nor extern function calls, but I think everything else is there now.

I also have a text file version, which is a little more compact and easier to open in an editor:

https://github.com/jafingerhut/p4-guide/blob/master/p4-16-allowed-constructs.txt

I also happen to have a horribly ugly P4 program that exercises all of the allowed things at least once, plus hundreds of lines of commented-out things that cause the compiler to give errors.  The positive test case for supported things I can see as being useful, but the number of individual negative test cases here really is quite a lot, and I’d think if one wanted such things for the compiler, it is probably easier to auto-generate them with a program from some kind of template.

Andy