[P4-design] 4/24 draft agenda

Calin Cascaval cascaval at barefootnetworks.com
Mon Apr 24 18:03:06 EDT 2017

Meeting notes for P4 lang design meeting 4/24

Making the p4-spec repo public
    - AI (Nate): add the methodology of accepting changes to a README

Header unions
    - PR for the spec submitted
    - native union support coming into BMv2 by the end of the week
AI (Nate): remove error as part of packet_in and remove from spec
AI (Nate): add top level isValid for the union
AI (Nate): add empty unions to the compiler (keep in the spec)

Control and Parser literals
    - PR for the spec submitted
    - compiler pass in the works
AI (Cole): multiple invocations of apply vs. creating multiple instances? How does this work across scopes? Are all these global instances?
        - these need to be clearly articulated in the spec
        - desugaring introduces a new globally unique name
Andy: spec how would one create a second instance of the control?
    - use the regular declaration with constructor parameters (using '()').

Implicit casts
    - BFN proposal accepted
AI (AndyF): open issues against spec and compiler to implement

Default actions
    - P4_14 clearly defines what happens (pg 57)
AI (Vladimir): we need to define what happens in P4_16. Use the wording from P4_14 and specify that nothing happens to the packet (whether NoAction or some other (hidden op?) in the compiler implementation)
    - Future: should we have a table type that enforces defining default_action always?

Types supported by emit
    - should support any type?
    - what happens with padding to 8 bits?
AI: leave for a future spec release

Unused code
    - what can the compiler do with tables and controls that are deemed dead-code but can be accessed by the control plane.
        - one option is to delete them, and if they are accessed, these should be handled at a different level
        - should they be made programmatically available to the control plane? Transparently handling calls to removed resources?
AI: compilers may optionally remove dead code and the control plane spec should deal with the behavior.

Assigning list to header
    - 3 choices: disallow; assign to fields and header stays invalid; assign and header becomes valid
    - we chose the 3rd option
AI (Mihai): a list expression assigned to a header generates a valid header

Syntax
    - wish: describe the entire front end in the specification
AI (Nate): low priority for this release. Likely leave for future spec release 😃

P4_14 v1.0.4
    - AI (AndyF) - revise the spec

--
Thanks, Calin