[P4-design] Deparse emit of Header Union

Andy Fingerhut (jafinger) jafinger at cisco.com
Fri Aug 4 11:37:13 EDT 2017

Yes, emit(h) is defined in the spec, a few lines above the pseudocode lines you quote, to be a no-op if it is called with a header where h.isValid() is false.  The relevant pseudocode contains the line “if(data.valid$) {“, where “.valid$” is intended to represent the hidden valid bit of a header.

With this knowledge, the spec does correctly define the desired behavior.  There could certainly be more efficient ways in an implementation to do emit() on a header_union, e.g. an implementation could have a ‘tag field’ that indicates exactly which header_union member is valid, if any, and you could have a case statement that only emits the one valid member.  The spec in this case is not trying to give guidance on how to do it efficiently, just what the resulting visible behavior ought to be.

Andy Fingerhut