[P4-design] Call for review of the Portable Switch Architecture specification

Andy Fingerhut (jafinger) jafinger at cisco.com
Tue Feb 13 18:08:25 EST 2018

The P4 Architecture Working Group has been working towards a release of the Portable Switch Architecture specification version 1.0, which we are planning to release by February 28, 2018.

The latest version is available in HTML and PDF forms on this page (the “working draft” version of P4_16 PSA): https://p4.org/specs/

While there are many excerpts of the proposed include file “psa.p4” in the specification, and excerpts of example P4_16 programs that use the features of PSA, those interested should examine those files here:

psa.p4 include file: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/blob/master/p4-16/psa/psa.p4
Example programs: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/tree/master/p4-16/psa/examples

We would greatly appreciate any comments, corrections, or questions you have (in the form of Github issues).  We would love it if we can get your comments by Feb 21, so we have time to respond to them before the release.  However, please do not hesitate to create issues before or after that date, here: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues

We plan to add more features to PSA later.  There are already several open issues with proposals to add new features.  You are welcome to create issues for new additions, but before the v1.0 release we are especially hoping to hear about issues where the existing features as currently specified are undesirable, and changes are desired that would not be backwards compatible with the current draft.

Thanks,
Calin Cascaval & Andy Fingerhut