[P4-design] Maybe too much text describing issues around P4 table and parser value set sizes

Andy Fingerhut (jafinger) jafinger at cisco.com
Sat Mar 24 00:49:13 EDT 2018

In the last P4 language design WG meeting, I volunteered to write up some notes on P4 table sizes, and what “size” might mean.

I have written up a discussion of the issues around P4 table and parser value set sizes here.  It is more a tutorial style directed at people who might be unfamiliar with issues around high speed implementations of P4-style matching, and what their consequences are for specifying table sizes, especially ones where the actual capacity of a table is not really predictable.

https://github.com/jafingerhut/p4-guide/blob/master/docs/p4-table-and-parser-value-set-sizes.md

Corrections/questions/comments welcome.