[P4-design] P4 language design resuming
mbudiu at vmware.com
Mon Oct 1 13:32:21 EDT 2018
We are planning to resume our quasi-regular meetings of the P4 design working group.
We have accumulated some interesting items to work on. Here is a list of what I could find. Please send more suggestions if I missed something.
The plan would be to resume the meetings on Mondays at 1:30-3:00, using both videoconferencing and in-person meetings rotating between several locations.
Mihai & Nate
* Useful generics using some form of type constraints
* A corner case in the slice operator applied to signed integers: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/668
* Statically determining the size of a header: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/660
* A module system to replace #include: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/628
* Operator overloading, may be useful for supporting newly introduced types: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/616
* Abstract methods in extern objects; these are already an experimental feature, with lots of subtle problems, including capturing the environment: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/561, https://github.com/p4lang/p4c/issues/1175, https://github.com/p4lang/p4c/pull/1468, https://github.com/p4lang/p4c/pull/1284, etc.
* Structure initializers with named fields; there is now some support in the IR to make this easier: https://github.com/p4lang/p4c/pull/1498
* Supporting both hit and switch: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/485
* Writable "in" arguments: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/424
* Allow structs in headers: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/383
* Run-time int values: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/347
* Int type: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/331
* Defining operations in varbits: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/264
* Empty tuples: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/282
* Header stack initializers: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/198
* Named field lists: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/51
* Some form of iterators: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/issues/84
* Structure overlays: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/pull/656
* Deprecated annotation: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/pull/655
* Computed bit-widths: https://github.com/p4lang/p4-spec/pull/641
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the P4-design