[P4-design] Example P4_14 and P4_16 programs for resubmit with 4 cases

Andy Fingerhut (jafinger) jafinger at cisco.com
Mon Apr 15 11:27:28 EDT 2019

I have updated the example programs from what I sent out earlier, and added bullet point lists of what I consider to be the advantages and disadvantages of each approach.

https://github.com/jafingerhut/p4-guide/blob/master/v1model-special-ops/README-resubmit-examples.md

The original P4_14 version is still there, and the 3 imagined P4_16 ones (each with different modifications to v1model) are all intended to behave exactly the same as the original P4_14 version, i.e. they all preserve only the user-defined metadata fields requested, and no others, and they all preserve only the values that the metadata fields have at the end of executing the ingress control, _not_ at the time the resubmit call is executed (the same as the P4_14 program does).

The document linked above also has a link to Mihai’s slides with his 3 different proposals, and explains how my example programs correspond to his proposals.

Andy