<div dir="ltr">Hi Bapi,<div><br></div><div>My intention was removing it from the web page, rather than keeping it still on the web page and attaching the "withdrawn" mark to it. That'll give less confusion to the new P4 learners. And, it seems Prem has changed the web page that way over the weekend. </div><div><br></div><div>Let me know if you have a different thought. We can also briefly discuss this at our p4-design meeting today.</div><div><br></div><div>-- Chang</div></div><div class="gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 8:39 PM, Bapi Vinnakota <span dir="ltr"><<a href="mailto:bapi.vinnakota@netronome.com" target="_blank">bapi.vinnakota@netronome.com</a>></span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_default" style="font-size:small">Chang,</div><div class="gmail_default" style="font-size:small"><br></div><div class="gmail_default" style="font-size:small">Will the v1.1 spec be left on the web site and marke "Withdrawn" or will it disappear</div><div class="gmail_default" style="font-size:small">completely.</div><div class="gmail_default" style="font-size:small"><br></div><div class="gmail_default" style="font-size:small">Regards</div><div class="gmail_default" style="font-size:small">Bapi</div></div><div class="gmail_extra"><br clear="all"><div><div class="m_-2967184180747178726gmail_signature" data-smartmail="gmail_signature"><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><p style="margin:0in 0in 0.0001pt;font-family:Calibri,sans-serif"><br></p><p style="margin:0in 0in 0.0001pt;font-family:Calibri,sans-serif"><span style="font-size:9pt">Netronome | 2903 Bunker Hill Lane| Suite 150 | Santa Clara, CA  95054</span><br></p><p style="margin:0in 0in 0.0001pt;font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,sans-serif"><span style="font-size:9pt">Phone: <a href="tel:408%20802%200470" value="+14088020470" style="color:rgb(17,85,204)" target="_blank">408 496 0022</a> | Email: <a href="mailto:sujal.das@netronome.com" style="color:rgb(17,85,204)" target="_blank">bapi.vinnakota@<wbr>netronome.com</a> | Skype: bapi.vinnakota</span></p><p style="margin:0in 0in 0.0001pt;font-size:11pt;font-family:Calibri,sans-serif"> </p></div></div></div></div></div></div></div><div><div class="h5">
<br><div class="gmail_quote">On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 5:30 PM, Changhoon Kim <span dir="ltr"><<a href="mailto:chang@barefootnetworks.com" target="_blank">chang@barefootnetworks.com</a>></span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr">All,<div><br></div><div>Since we discussed this minor revision last week Monday, a few members additionally expressed their support on this minor revision of P4_14. Given that we had enough feedback and support calls, I'll go ahead and replace the v1.0.2 version with this one (attached). </div><div><br></div><div>I will also withdraw the v1.1 spec from the P4.org web page and share the following news to set the stage for P4_16.</div><div><br></div><div><i><font face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif">"The P4 Language Design Working Group is working actively to produce and publish a major revision of P4 (P4_16) soon. This new public pre-release spec will offer the following additional capabilities respective to the current widely-adoped P4 (P4_14):   </font></i></div><div><i><font face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"><br></font></i></div><div><i><font face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif">- Support for architectural heterogeneity (language-architecture decoupling)</font></i></div><div><i><font face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif">- Support for functional heterogeneity</font></i></div><div><i><font face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif">- Strong types</font></i></div><div><i><font face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif">- Improvement on code re-usability</font></i></div><div><div class="m_-2967184180747178726h5"><div><i><font face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif">"</font></i></div><div><i><font face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"><br></font></i></div><div><i><font face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"><br></font></i></div><div><br></div><div class="gmail_extra"><div class="gmail_quote">On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 12:31 PM, Changhoon Kim <span dir="ltr"><<a href="mailto:chang@barefootnetworks.com" target="_blank">chang@barefootnetworks.com</a>></span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr">All,<div><br></div><div>Based on some feedback from a few p4-design members, we made a few more minor updates to this P4_14 v1.0.3 draft. Again, the main goal of all these changes is making the reference P4 software switch (BMv2) and the P4_14 spec as close as possible in terms of primitive actions supported and their details. This will help P4 users -- especially new P4 writers -- learn P4 programming more easily with few surprises.</div><div><br></div><div>Section 15.3 (page 67 and 68) has the summary of changes.</div><div><br></div><div>Let's also review this tomorrow and try to approve.</div><div><br></div><div>-- Chang</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><div class="gmail_extra"><div class="gmail_quote"><span>On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 11:09 PM, Vladimir Gurevich <span dir="ltr"><<a href="mailto:vag@barefootnetworks.com" target="_blank">vag@barefootnetworks.com</a>></span> wrote:<br></span><div><div class="m_-2967184180747178726m_8703892871465493656m_-3467199225133497341h5"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr">Hi Chang,<div><ol><li>What is the status of other arithmetic and logical primitives beyond add()? They are available in BMv2-simple_switch and some of them are being used in switch.p4 for example (bit_xor() to name one)?</li><li>What's the status of the primitive modify_field_rng_uni<wbr>form(dst, lower_boundary, upper_boundary) ? It has been added to BMv2-simple_switch a while ago, is used in switch.p4  and in any case people need some sort of randomness<br></li><li>What's the decision on execute_meter() and count() in relation to direct meters and counters? There were two schools of thought: </li><ol><li>They are not needed and are implicitly added to all actions referenced in the table</li><li>There should be a special form of these primitives (count(counter_ref) and execute_meter(meter_ref), i.e. without index/destination field) that can OPTIONALLY be added to some or all actions, mentioned in the table, therefore providing more flexibility to the user and reducing the amount of implicitly generated code </li></ol></ol><div>Thanks,<br>Vladimir</div></div><div><br></div><div><br></div></div><div class="m_-2967184180747178726m_8703892871465493656m_-3467199225133497341m_-8451994827727690453HOEnZb"><div class="m_-2967184180747178726m_8703892871465493656m_-3467199225133497341m_-8451994827727690453h5"><div class="gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 11:11 PM, Changhoon Kim <span dir="ltr"><<a href="mailto:chang@barefootnetworks.com" target="_blank">chang@barefootnetworks.com</a>></span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr">Team,<div><br></div><div>We haven't had time to discuss these changes at our last meeting. Gordon, Peter, and a few other told me they're in favor of these tidying-up changes for P4_14. Please give me a holler in a day or two if you oppose to these. Otherwise, I'll publish these changes via P4.org late Friday.</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks.</div><div><br></div><div>-- Chang</div><div><div class="m_-2967184180747178726m_8703892871465493656m_-3467199225133497341m_-8451994827727690453m_-5873616731359524777h5"><div class="gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Peter Newman (petenewm) <span dir="ltr"><<a href="mailto:petenewm@cisco.com" target="_blank">petenewm@cisco.com</a>></span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">



<div style="word-wrap:break-word">
Chang,
<div><br>
</div>
<div>Thanks for tidying this up. I had noticed that the primitive actions in switch.p4 did not exactly agree with the spec. This looks fine.</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>—Peter</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div><br>
<div><div><div>
<div>On Sep 20, 2016, at 6:11 PM, Changhoon Kim <<a href="mailto:chang@barefootnetworks.com" target="_blank">chang@barefootnetworks.com</a>> wrote:</div>
<br>
</div></div><div><div><div>
<div dir="ltr">Hi P4 designers,
<div><br>
</div>
<div>While we're all working busily to review the P4_16 proposal and trying to solidify it, I'd like to make a couple proposals related to a completely different topic: P4_14.</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>1) The currently widely adopted P4_14 spec is the v1.0.2 version. All the public p4lang code out there is largely based on this spec, and I expect that this version will continue to be used for a while, as we'll phase into P4_16. Unfortunately
 there are a few minor discrepancies between the v1.0.2 spec and what's actually implemented in p4lang/p4-hlir and BMv2, causing confusion to P4 beginners and writers right now. I think it'll be very helpful for the P4 community if we fix those discrepancies
 quickly. The attached draft -- which is tentatively versioned v1.0.3, but could be officially named P4_14 -- is an attempt to fix those issues. The extent of change is minimal, and the following list summarizes it. There's a revision history in the Appendix
 as well. I suggest we review this version quickly and publish it, replacing the v1.0.2 spec.</div>
<div>
<ul style="font-size:12.8px">
<li style="margin-left:15px"><span style="font-size:12.8px">Page 29: removed register layout in register declaration.</span><br>
</li><li style="margin-left:15px"><span style="font-size:12.8px">removed bracket-based register referencing from </span><br>
<ul>
<span>
<li style="margin-left:15px"><span style="font-size:12.8px">the parameters of modify_field, add_to_field and add primitives</span></li></span></ul></li><li style="margin-left:15px"><span style="font-size:small">Page 27, Section 7 intro.</span></li><li style="margin-left:15px"><span style="font-size:small">Page 47, 9.1.2 Parameter Binding</span></li><li style="margin-left:15px"><span style="font-size:small">page 87, example code: Use register_read/write primitives instead.</span></li></ul>
<li style="margin-left:15px"><span style="font-size:12.8px">page 32: fixed execute_meter, <span style="font-size:12.8px">modify_field_wi<wbr>th_hash_based_</span><span style="font-size:12.8px">offset, </span></span><span style="font-size:12.8px">added
 register_read/write</span></li><li style="margin-left:15px"><span style="font-size:12.8px">pages 37: </span><span style="font-size:12.8px">fixed the name,</span><span style="font-size:12.8px"> description and parameter ordering of </span><span style="font-size:12.8px">modify_field_with_hash_base<wbr>d_</span><span style="font-size:12.8px">offset.</span></li><li style="margin-left:15px"><span style="font-size:12.8px">pages 40, 41: fixed execute_meter and </span><span style="font-size:12.8px">added register_read/write primitives.</span></li><li style="margin-left:15px">Changed optional parameters of push, pop, resubmit, recirculate, clone_* primitives to mandatory parameters. Revised pop/push descriptions accordingly. </li>
</div>
<div>2) The v1.1 spec is currently in a pre-release review state. It hasn't gotten much traction, and we weren't able to secure the necessary code contributions that fully realize this version either. Meanwhile P4_16 offers language features addressing
 all the goals we wanted to achieve with v1.1, including extern types, stronger type, expression support, etc., and even more. Given that we'll publish P4_16 soon, I suggest we withdraw the v1.1 spec. That way, we'll avoid proliferation of spec variations and
 minimize confusion. <br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>Let me know your thought on this. If there's no strong objection, I'll go ahead and make these changes by next week.</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>Thanks.</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>-- Chang<br>
<div><br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div></div><span><p4_14_v1.0.3-draft.pdf></span>______<wbr>______________________________<wbr>___________<br>
P4-design mailing list<br>
<a href="mailto:P4-design@lists.p4.org" target="_blank">P4-design@lists.p4.org</a><br>
<a href="http://lists.p4.org/mailman/listinfo/p4-design_lists.p4.org" target="_blank">http://lists.p4.org/mailman/li<wbr>stinfo/p4-design_lists.p4.org</a><br>
<br>
</div>
</div>
<br>
</div>
</div>

</blockquote></div><br></div></div></div></div>
<br>______________________________<wbr>_________________<br>
P4-design mailing list<br>
<a href="mailto:P4-design@lists.p4.org" target="_blank">P4-design@lists.p4.org</a><br>
<a href="http://lists.p4.org/mailman/listinfo/p4-design_lists.p4.org" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://lists.p4.org/mailman/li<wbr>stinfo/p4-design_lists.p4.org</a><br>
<br>
<br></blockquote></div><br></div>
</div></div></blockquote></div></div></div><br></div></div></div>
</blockquote></div><br></div></div></div></div>
<br>______________________________<wbr>_________________<br>
P4-design mailing list<br>
<a href="mailto:P4-design@lists.p4.org" target="_blank">P4-design@lists.p4.org</a><br>
<a href="http://lists.p4.org/mailman/listinfo/p4-design_lists.p4.org" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://lists.p4.org/mailman/li<wbr>stinfo/p4-design_lists.p4.org</a><br>
<br>
<br></blockquote></div><br></div></div></div>
</blockquote></div><br></div>