[P4-dev] UNCLASSIFIED: SDN Controller based P4 Control

Stern, David J CIV DISA ID (US) david.j.stern.civ at mail.mil
Wed Aug 5 15:40:08 EDT 2015

UNCLASSIFIED

Hi all!
I am wondering if anyone is using an SDN Controller (RYU, ODL, ONOS, etc) to control a network of P4 devices (software switch, etc. is fine). Likewise, if anyone is using an OF implementation inside the dataplane with a dedicated port, etc that would also be helpful (assuming since the control plane is a dynamic api representation, OF 1.x is not being used).

We are basically working our E2E visibility use case III (https://www.fbo.gov/spg/DISA/D4AD/DITCO/MAC0098/listing.html ) and the thought was that we could use P4 metadata with a timestamp and port for ingress and the timestamp/port for all egress flows for selected flows as identified in the match-action table (i.e. turn on/off). Assuming 1588v2 synchronization, this is likely good enough to provide the FlowData(FD) we are looking for and for us to use an SDN controller to handle the FlowDataCollector (FDC) duties. In actuality we are trying to show how OF can be used in this respect with timestamps in an OF packet-in for example, but felt the easier way to show everyone was to program it in P4 and simulate the usefulness of the timestamps for E2E visibility by enabling the exposed timestamp functionality etc. [this is actually a brownfield use case for OpenFlow]

I know barefoot has a demo that is similar in the TCP headers, but wanted to know if anyone else has done any controller integration. We are interested in keeping this in the control plane at this point, turning the capabilities on and off on a per flow basis, and possibly metering them at every 1k/10k/100k frames, etc.

Dave

David J. Stern
Electronics Engineer
SDN Technical Lead/Advanced Optics & IP Engineer Network Evolution Branch (ID22), Infrastructure Development (ID) Defense Information Systems Agency
301.225.2214
David.j.stern.civ at mail.mil

UNCLASSIFIED