[P4-dev] no semantic check for a variable-length match field into the table definition

Salvatore Signorello salvatore.signorello at uni.lu
Thu Aug 6 02:18:05 EDT 2015

Hi Antonin,

thank you for answering, few cents in line.

Best,
Salvatore

On 08/05/2015 10:53 PM, Antonin Bas wrote:
> Hi Salvatore,
>
> I can see that there is no warning / error, but do we really need one?
> The compiler knows what the maximum length of a field is, so in theory
> a table could match on this field. The compiler allocates for the
> worst case and the match will compare the values, independently of the
> actual bit width of the extracted field.
I think you're right saying that this is something that has to be
eventually raised by the back-end compiler comparing the computed size
against the available resources on a certain target. Nevertheless, I
wonder more about how this variable-length field could affect the match
logic built on such table, but I've not come up with a definitive idea
about this yet.
> Do you see any issue with this? Note that the software switch on
> p4lang does not support variable length field (not even their extraction).
was it for sake of time