[P4-dev] Doubts Regarding use of Register

Swaroop Thool swaroopthool1991 at outlook.com
Wed Aug 12 12:10:37 EDT 2015

Hi Antonin,

Thank you for your reply.

1) Furthermore, few basic operations implemented in many languages making it difficult to implement in P4.

Is there way in P4 where I can keep record of values for particular flow/input.
For example, I have stored 3 values of 1st input(like 1st IP address) in 3 different register arrays(one in each) through metadata field transfer. And again stored 3 values of 2nd input(like another IP address) in those 3 different register arrays but at different locations. Again for next 3rd input and so on.
Issue here is that ALL those values are in 3 register arrays and now I want to pick only that 3 values of 1st input. As metadata values are overwritten with latest values which cant rescue me. How to collect this 3 values of each input when register array almost becomes full or when inputs are stopped? If this is not the way, can I create run-time instances of metadatas for each new input which will hold values of that particular input/flow? But again here how can I refer to 1st flow metadatas after few flows?

2)Is there any print statement in P4?

3)Are there any comparison statement among values (e.g  max, min) ?

Thanks,
Swaroop