[P4-dev] Doubts Regarding use of Register

Swaroop Thool swaroopthool1991 at outlook.com
Thu Aug 13 11:48:49 EDT 2015

Hi Antonin,

Thank for your reply and sorry for my unclear question and annoying you as I am new in p4.

I have:

register r1 {  // THERE ARE 3 SUCH ARRAYS R1,R2,R3
    width : 16;
    instance_count : 500;   //single array of size 500
}

I am considering array r1 of register of size 500. And there are total 3 such arrays say, r1,r2,r3.
If I store 3 different values corresponding to 1st input (like 1st IP address) at location r1[10], r2[20], r3[30] using metadata fields (manipulation/transfer) where, my metadata is like temporary structure having fields as location and value as:

header_type temp_metadata_t {  //THERE ARE 3 INSTANCES OF THIS FOR EACH R1, R2, R3
  fields{
      location : 16;
      value : 10; }
}

Again storing 3 different values corresponding to 2nd input (like 2nd IP address) at location r1[50], r2[60], r3[70] and so on for different number of inputs. Now I want to know what is the value at location "r1[10], r2[20], r3[30] " which should be corresponding to same input as stated above(here its 1st input). As I am using temp_metadata_t for value and location manipulation which puts my values in r1,r2,r3 and gets refreshed with new one as I proceed further. I dont have record to get values from location r1[10], r2[20], r3[30] belonging to 1st input.
Can I create table with run-time entries for this 3 values combination and use something like pointer? I dont know how to do this.

Also, how to view table entries? I tried the below to start CLI
: ~/p4factory/cli$ ./pd_cli.py -p simple_router -s of-tests/pd_thrift:../../submodules/oft-infra -c localhost:22222

but gets error:
./pd_cli.py: line 15: import: command not found
./pd_cli.py: line 16: import: command not found
./pd_cli.py: line 17: import: command not found
./pd_cli.py: line 18: import: command not found
./pd_cli.py: line 19: import: command not found
./pd_cli.py: line 20: import: command not found
./pd_cli.py: line 21: import: command not found
./pd_cli.py: line 24: import: command not found
./pd_cli.py: line 27: syntax error near unexpected token `('
./pd_cli.py: line 27: `class PdCli(cmd.Cmd):'

Thanks,
Swaroop