[P4-dev] storing field_list_calculation into a metadata field

LJ Wobker ljw at barefootnetworks.com
Wed Aug 19 07:26:01 EDT 2015

Per section 2.4 & 3 of the spec, you should be able to use

*field_list_calculation* *output_value*

 to obtain a hash value from your set of fields.  The output of this
(output_value) can then be referenced in action primitives…

field_list *something* {

    ipv4.source;

    ipv4.dest;

    tcp.source;

    tcp.dest;

}

field_list_calculation *output_value* {

    input {

       *something*;

    }

    algorithm : crc32;

    output_width : 32;

}

modify_field (salvatores_metadata.hashfield, *output_value*)

// “salvatores_metadata.hashfield” is a 32b field defined in the metadata
header somewhere…

Have you tried this and found it not to be working?  I didn’t pull this
from working code, but it should be pretty close…

--lj