[P4-dev] Doubts Regarding use of Register

Swaroop Thool swaroopthool1991 at outlook.com
Fri Aug 21 12:56:37 EDT 2015

Hi All,

I want to know

If I write:
//In header.p4 file
header_type mymetadata_t {      //Metadata defined in header.p4
    fields {
        value : 16;
// In parser.p4 file
field_list_calculation mychecksum {
    input {
        ipv4_checksum_list;            //defined in program
    }
    algorithm : csum16;
    output_width : 16;
}

metadata mymetadata_t mymetadata;  //Instance

calculated_field mymetadata.value {
    verify mychecksum;
    update mychecksum;
Questions:
1) I want to be confirm about following statements:
register_write(r, mymetadata.value, someothermetadata.itsfield);
->Is value at someothermetadata.itsfield is written into register r[mymetadata.value] ?

register_read(someothermetadata.itsfield, r, mymetadata.value);
-> Similarly, is value at register r[mymetadata.value] is written into someothermetadata.itsfield ?

2) Referred to above if I write:
modify_field_with_hash_based_offset(someothermetadata.itsfield , 0, mychecksum, 1000);
// Is value set at someothermetadata.itsfield is same as mymetadata.value? means, whether mychecksum value and mymetadata.value are same?

3) Is this Block of code execute automatically as soon as control flow starts? because I havn't seen its invocation in simple_router demo code
calculated_field mymetadata.value {
    verify mychecksum;
    update mychecksum;

Swaroop