[P4-dev] P4 Apis

Changhoon Kim chang at barefootnetworks.com
Fri Jul 17 16:27:06 EDT 2015

Hi Gabriel,

Please see my inline answers below.

Couple of questions:
> - Are there any wiki pages I can read for the "technical / applied" part
> of P4 ?

No we don't. For now check out the P4 Workshop webpage (
http://p4.org/p4-workshop/ ) where there is good information on P4 and its
application to various targets like  Soft Switches, FPGAs, Reconfigurable
Switches, etc.

> - Are the API dynamically generated depending on what's in the .p4 files ?

Yes, APIs can be auto-generated from a P4 program. As an example, you can
take a look at the switch.p4 program's README (
https://github.com/p4lang/p4factory/tree/master/targets/switch ) file for
more details. You can also look at the templates the API generation logic
uses (https://github.com/p4lang/p4c-behavioral/tree/master/p4c_bm/templates
).

> Also, I don't know if you would be interested, but I made a vagrant image
> that setups the whole P4 dev environment here:
> https://github.com/sniggel/vagrant-p4
>
> It's just a translation*'ish* of the install.sh script.

Thanks a lot for the contribution. This indeed seems very helpful. It'd be
great if you could also take look at the Mininet + Docker packaging we did
and share your thoughts on that. Details in this README -
https://github.com/p4lang/p4factory  [ Section - Integration with Mininet
and Docker ]

-- Chang