[P4-dev] filling tables

Salvatore Signorello salvatore.signorello at uni.lu
Mon Jul 20 10:04:32 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I wonder if there is  a "data-plane"-driven  way to fill/update tables.
For example, it could be possible for a match (and so for a packet) to
generate a table insertion/update in this way:

table xyz{
    reads{
        protocol1.fieldA : exact;
        protocol2.fieldB : exact;
    }
    actions{
        addEntry; // for example, called the first time the pair
{protocol1.fieldA,protocol2.fieldB} has been seen
        modifyEntry; // from the 2nd packet on, to keep trace of some
other information

I would need this to implement a stateful forwarding behavior. Is there
any way to express such behavior through the current language
specification?

Remark: I don't want to use registers, cause I would rather have an
associative facility (key, value) such as a table.

Thank you in advance for any hint,
best,
Salvatore