[P4-dev] Network processor to accelerate P4

Madhu (Macaque Labs) madhu at macaque.in
Tue Jul 21 10:57:32 EDT 2015

As part of our open source processor development program, we are looking at
specialized  accelerators for networking. Trying to figure out what
primitives
would be useful (apart from the various data path tricks that have to be
played
of course !) and the appropriate micro-architecture. Have dabbled with
various
NPs in the past including the IXP family. Ease of programming was always
an issue with microcode based approaches. Programming an NP with P4
(maybe with some extensions) should make life simpler.

 Current plan to take our mesh design and iterate on that. Tilera (now
Ezchip)
and Ezchip's own NP5 take similar architectural approaches.

Any thoughts ?

--
Regards,
Madhu