[P4-dev] how to add forwarding state to a behavior model

Antonin Bas antonin at barefootnetworks.com
Thu Jul 23 16:30:12 EDT 2015

Hi Brian,

switch-control.sh was created only for the sake of the demo. It only worked
for one specific P4 program (I believe it was simple_router.p4). In the
general case, you don't know which features are implemented in a P4
program, what are the tables names, what are the action names... so you
cannot provide an API "add_arp" that will work for any arbitrary P4
program. This is why you have to use the CLI. The CLI code calls into the
PD API, which is generated from the P4 program. To start the CLI, you have
to run run_cli.bash. You can then populate the tables with commands like:
add_entry *table_name* *match_parameters* *action_names*

*action_parameters*
In the demo you refer to, I believe add_arp was actually invoking the CLI
with a command like this:
add_entry send_frame 1 rewrite_mac 00:aa:bb:00:00:00

Let us know if you need more help,

Antonin