[P4-dev] target IP address

Antonin Bas antonin at barefootnetworks.com
Mon Jul 27 14:54:55 EDT 2015

If you are implementing a L3 switch and want to assign IP address to your
interfaces at runtime, you need to use a table, you cannot do this with a
if condition in the control flow (unless your IP addresses are static and
can be hard coded in the P4 program). The table would look like this:

table ip_match_iface {
  reads {
    ipv4.dstAddr : exact;
  }
  actions {
    set_match_iface;
  }
  size: 128;
}

action set_match_iface() {
  modify_field(my_metadata.match_iface, 1); // where
my_metadata.match_iface has to be defined by you
}

You can then populate the table at runtime with your IP addresses and test
the value of my_metadata.match_iface in the control flow.
Assuming you are using the CLI, the commands to populate the table would
look like this:

add_entry ip_match_iface 10.0.0.1 set_match_iface
add_entry ip_match_iface 12.13.14.1 set_match_iface