[P4-dev] Intrinsic metadata and some other questions

Changhoon Kim chang at barefootnetworks.com
Thu Jun 18 20:39:18 EDT 2015

Hi Sandor,

Regarding your question about lazy parsing (a.k.a. incremental parsing),
have you considered using the "resubmit" primitive action? I got the
impression that what you intend to do via lazy parsing is probably
something more than what resubmit can do, but it'd be helpful to hear your
thoughts on that. If you truly want to introduce parsing logic anywhere in
the match-action pipeline, then I think it's more fundamental a topic that
requires flexibility in the "P4 abstract forwarding model (Fig 1)".

I believe some folks in the P4 community are interested in evolving the
language spec so P4 could embrace architectural differences of various
underlying targets.

-- Chang