[P4-dev] A beginner's question about p4 calling C library functions

Changhoon Kim chang at barefootnetworks.com
Thu Aug 25 00:39:46 EDT 2016

Hi Chang,

As Vlad mentioned, one can't implement complex computing functions -- such
as encryption, decryption, pattern matching, or string manipulation -- in
P4, and that's by design. P4 is a language to describe packet-forwarding
logic, and we intend to keep it that way.

That said, we also understand P4 programmers sometimes will need to
"consume" complex computing functions if they are already made available in
the processing pipeline. The P4-design working group has been working to
offer such extensibility of P4 without bloating the P4 language. The extern
type -- introduced in P4_14 v1.1 spec (http://p4.org/spec/) -- offers such
extensibility. I believe some P4 target providers could expose a few
C-library functions at the P4 level as "extern" types. But such extern
types will most likely be supported only on those special types of targets.

-- Chang (Kim)