[P4-dev] Question on p4ofagent and control of P4 devices

Carmelo Cascone carmelo at onlab.us
Tue Feb 9 03:08:44 EST 2016

Hi all,

I’m looking at ways to make ONOS capable of controlling P4 devices, e.g. bmv2 software switch to start.

In my understanding with p4ofagent it is possible to add OpenFlow 1.3 support to a P4 target by manually defining a mapping between OF tables and user-defined P4 tables. However, please correct me if I’m wrong, plain OF would inhibit access to P4-specific features such as non-OF headers and actions, range match, expressions in action parameters, stateful registers read/write, etc.

Is there any plan / anyone working on extending p4ofagent in order to support such features?

Thanks,

Carmelo Cascone