[P4-dev] Question about adding routes on a p4 switch-router

David Hancock dhancock at cs.utah.edu
Wed Feb 17 11:35:44 EST 2016

Daniel,

Welcome to the P4 community!  I am a student like yourself, so what I
say is not authoritative, but I think I can help you.

Hopefully you are using bmv2, the newer "behavioral model" software
switch.  See https://github.com/p4lang/behavioral-model for a good
overview.  The concept is that once you get it running, loaded with the
basic_routing program, you use a separate terminal (NOT in the mininet
shell, or at least not typically) to connect to bmv2's command line
interface.  Once connected to the CLI, the "help" command will help you
explore CLI commands available and how to use them, but spoiler alert,
you will be most interested in table_add and table_set_default to begin
with.  You can also quite easily assemble commands in a script, usually
called "commands.txt" and feed it to the CLI.

Here is a workflow for running basic_routing in mininet and connecting
to the CLI:

# start mininet simulation '1sw_demo.py' running bmv2 w/ basic_routing:
cd ~/p4factory/targets/basic_routing
p4c-bmv2 --json basic_routing.json p4src/basic_routing.p4
sudo python ~/p4factory/submodules/bm/mininet/1sw_demo.py \
--behavioral-exe
~/p4factory/submodules/bm/targets/simple_switch/simple_switch \
--json ~/p4factory/targets/basic_routing/basic_routing.json

# in a separate terminal, connect to the CLI
cd ~/p4factory/targets/basic_routing
sudo ~/p4factory/submodules/bm/targets/simple_switch/sswitch_CLI
basic_routing.json 9090

In this case, 9090 was the default thrift port for the switch as
specified in 1sw_demo.py, but you can specify your own via
--thrift-port, and note that in many demos the port used is 22222.

To supply a "commands.txt" script to the CLI, just add "< commands.txt"
to the end of the sswitch_CLI command, e.g.:

sudo ~/p4factory/submodules/bm/targets/simple_switch/sswitch_CLI
basic_routing.json 9090 < commands.txt

Good luck
David