[P4-dev] Modifying behavioral-model codebase to be more general

Gordon Bailey gb at gordonbailey.net
Mon Feb 22 14:17:17 EST 2016

Hello,

I'm currently working on a project modelling network devices in SystemC,
and we are interested in using P4 (specifically the behavioral-model
codebase) for the behavioral component of our simulation models. To
implement all of the features which we are interested in, some
modifications to behavioral-model would be required. One example is that
we are interested in modelling memory performance, and so we need to use
our own trie and hashtable structures which interact with our memory
model, but the current behavioral-model does not allow specifying the
implementations of the various data structures. For this particular
problem I would be interested in modifying the code to allow the user to
provide a factory class (or something similar) for creating the
datastructures.

My question is if the maintainers would be open to these types of
contributions, and if so, what would be the process to propose and
discuss new features?

Thanks for your time,

Gordon