[P4-dev] How to implement tagging concept like VLAN/mTag in P4?

Antonin Bas antonin at barefootnetworks.com
Tue Feb 23 16:12:20 EST 2016

Hi Swaroop,

The mTag example is described in more details in this P4 paper (
http://www.sigcomm.org/sites/default/files/ccr/papers/2014/July/0000000-0000004.pdf),
although the syntax could be a little out-dated in some places. It is a
fictional example and you are free to tweak it as you want. All the code
samples in the p4lang tutorial repo (https://github.com/p4lang/tutorials),
in particular the source routing and the copy-to-cpu examples should be
very helpful.
If you get stuck on a particular aspect of your program, do not hesitate to
ask a more specific question with what you are trying to do and what you
have come up with so far, and we will be happy to help.