[P4-dev] Is metadata considered in deparsing?

Antonin Bas antonin at barefootnetworks.com
Mon Jun 20 19:50:22 EDT 2016

Hi,

As Javier say, the deparser behavior is not rigorously specified in P4
v1.1, which hopefully should change in the next version of the language. As
I explained in this previous email to the mailing list (
http://lists.p4.org/pipermail/p4-dev_lists.p4.org/2016-May/000319.html),
the P4 compiler uses a topological sorting on the parse graph to determine
the deparsing behavior. The deparser then follows this ordering and emits
headers for which the validity bit is set.
This can make things tricky / ambiguous because a topological sorting is
not always unique. Furthermore, in some cases, you may wish to emit packets
(e.g. CPU packets) which the parser may not need to know about. In this
case, you may have no choice but to add dummy transitions to your parse
graph. See the copy_to_cpu program in the tutorials repository for an
example:
https://github.com/p4lang/tutorials/blob/master/examples/copy_to_cpu/p4src/copy_to_cpu.p4#L45
In your case, you have no choice but to make appropriate calls to
add_header / remove_header to mark headers as valid / invalid. Maybe future
P4 versions will let us program the deparser in a more structured way.