[P4-dev] Is metadata considered in deparsing?

Javier Blazquez jblazquez at riotgames.com
Mon Jun 20 21:19:07 EDT 2016

Thanks Antonin. I have a few questions about the topological sort you
mentioned.

As you say, if a packet may have header A followed by header B _or_ header
B followed by header A then the static parser graph does indeed have
multiple topological sortings. However, when an actual packet flows through
the pipeline this packet will have only one of the two orderings, hence it
should be possible to reconstruct those headers in the right order.

I assume the issue is that the P4 compiler currently builds its deparser
from a static view of the parse graph, and it therefore can't modify its
behavior at runtime depending on how the input packet looked like? If the
deparser knew which `extract` calls were made in which order then it could
reconstruct the packet correctly in those situations.

What about calls to `add_header`/`push`/etc? Those calls don't appear in
parsers, so how does the deparser find those headers when it reconstructs
the output packet? I assume it visits every single header in the P4 program
and checks its valid bit, and if so writes out the header. If that's the
case, which ordering does it choose for those headers that have been pushed
or added in compound actions? Do they all go after the regular headers that
were extracted in a parser?