[P4-dev] Question: How the behavioral model is born?

Wu, Xiaoban Xiaoban_Wu at student.uml.edu
Thu Jun 23 22:52:00 EDT 2016

Dear Antonin,

I am a beginner to P4, instead of figuring out how to use the behavior model, I am more interested in how to create a behavioral model by myself. Basically, I mean I want to be a potential developer of P4 if I can, though I know I have a long road to go.

I know one possible way to figure this out is by checking every configure.ac files, but since I am newbie to autoconf, automake and libtool, it probably will cost me a lot of time before I can see the picture. Hence I need you to give me some direct points.

For example, for the behavioral model "copy_to_cpu", how can the "copy_to_cpu.p4" be compiled and linked with the necessary libraries, so that finally we could have an executable behavioral model? And in general, how are the .p4 files compiled? Some detailed explanations will be great to me.

Look forward to your reply and thank you very much for your help.

All the best,

Xiaoban