[P4-dev] Question: How the behavioral model is born?

Antonin Bas antonin at barefootnetworks.com
Fri Jun 24 14:19:34 EDT 2016

Hi Xiaoban,

Welcome to the P4 community.
The current behavioral-model is actually the second switch model to be
open-sourced on p4lang (hence the name "bmv2"). The first version
(p4c-behavioral: https://github.com/p4lang/p4c-behavioral), which is being
deprecated, worked in a totally different way. p4c-behavioral was a P4
compiler backend, which would generate C code for each P4 program (much
like C code can be compiled to assembly by C compilers). This C code would
then be compiled to an executable using gcc. So for each P4 program, we
would have a new executable. There were some advantages to this approach
but in the end we decided to adopt a different paradigm and we started
working on bmv2, for the reasons mentioned in the bmv2 README (
https://github.com/p4lang/behavioral-model#why-did-we-need-bmv2-). bmv2 is
a "static" model, i.e. we have a single executable which can load any P4
program and adjust its forwarding behavior accordingly. In a sense, bmv2 is
more of a "P4 interpreter".

The bmv2 workflow is quite simple really, which is why it is very
convenient for people wishing to experiment with P4. The P4 program is
first compiled to a JSON representation by p4c-bm (
https://github.com/p4lang/p4c-bm). This JSON is then loaded into bmv2 and
data structures are initialized to achieve the desired switching behavior.
I am attaching the slides for the bmv2 talk I gave at the last P4 workshop.
The P4 -> JSON compilation is really straightforward and the p4c-bm
codebase is actually very small.

Note that P4 has the ambition of being used to program the dataplane of
many different networking targets. All these targets can have different
architectures (how many match-action pipelines? is there a multicast
engine? how do the checksum units work?). This is important when designing
a P4 behavioral model. Do you want to use a specific architecture or do you
want to try to be as generic as possible? The strength of bmv2 is that it
is target-independent. Therefore bmv2 is actually a C++ library which can
be used to implement many P4-programmable targets. The behavioral-model
repository comes with 3 targets (
https://github.com/p4lang/behavioral-model/tree/master/targets). The most
important one by far is the simple_switch target. It is the most
widely-used and tries to implement the abstract switch model described in
the original P4 spec. The other two targets (simple_router, l2_switch) are
just meant as examples; they both implement much fewer features than
simple_switch (e.g. simple_router has a single match-action pipeline). Each
target implementation is meant to be linked to the bmv2 library to obtain
one executable. This executable can then run all P4 programs compatible
with the target's architecture.

I am pretty certain that other P4 software switches will appear in the
months / years to come. I also assume that most will be based on the
p4c-behavioral "design" (i.e. C code generated from P4, and not a static
model like bmv2). The P4-OVS work is one such example.
It is actually pretty trivial to write a simple behavioral model which
supports only a subset of P4 features (e.g. no variable-length fields, no
stateful objects, only exact-match tables...), so if it's something you are
interested in, I encourage you to write your own. p4c-bm (
https://github.com/p4lang/p4c-bm/tree/master/p4c_bm) is a good example of a
P4 compiler backend, built on top of the open-sourced P4 HLIR. You can take
inspiration from it to generate your own behavioral-model code.