[P4-dev] Looping in P4, Apply table multiple times and Timers?

David Hancock dhancock at cs.utah.edu
Tue Jun 28 16:30:12 EDT 2016

Tu Dang,

These are the kinds of things I think about a lot.

"Looping within a compound action or the control flow in P4":  you
cannot do this directly.  There are no explicit loop constructs in P4.
This is a language design choice motivated by the types of high-speed
packet processing hardware architectures that are among the target
platforms for P4.  BUT you can still do a form of looping by using the
resubmit (invoked in ingress, returns the packet to the parser) and
recirculate (invoked in egress, returns the packet to the parser and
ingress pipeline) primitives.  These primitives accept a field list
parameter where you can specify those fields that should retain their
values when the packet shows up at the parser again.  Note that this
will incur a performance penalty.  If your program always resubmits
packets N times, you can expect throughput to be cut by a factor of N,
more or less.

"Apply a table multiple times": again, this is not normally allowed,
except through the resubmit and recirculate primitives.  Another way
around this limitation is to have functionally identical tables that are
only different in name.  This costs memory but only for the table
declarations and not for action declarations, because multiple tables
can be associated with the same action(s).

"Timers to fire an action": I'm not sure exactly what you want to do,
but the closest thing to this I can think of is to have a timer in the
controller that triggers the controller to communicate with the switch
in one of various ways* and cause the switch to execute the action.

*Ways include sending a table update via the control channel (e.g., the
Thrift port used by a bmv2 sswitch), indicating that while the switch is
processing the next packet it should take the desired action, or sending
a special packet that your program recognizes as the signal to execute a
certain action.

--David