[P4-dev] Reg: Ramping up P4

Ramana Reddy gtvrreddy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 11:59:12 EST 2016

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 3:55 PM, Mohan Krishna <mohankrishna290787 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Ramana/All,
>
> I was doing little more research P4 soft-switch. These were my following
> queries.
>
> 1) It is not possible in the current state for us to "configure" new
> protocol/control flows using Controller? Is my understanding correct?
> Will this be possible in future ?

Yes, you can do that. You can write your own protocol and add rules through
your own control plane. P4 is meant for that.

> 2) I did not understand when you meant "openflow + P4 tables.". As I will
> try to populate tables using SDN controller communicating
> openflow 1.4 protocol. (I understood that openflow 1.3 is supported.
> However if I could make openflow 1.4 work, I could contribute to the
> community).

You can just try to populate the tables using Openflow controller. Its very
simple. Read the manual. You can try with OF 1.3 and you can
make 1.4 later. Its always welcome. See the latest mail thread from antonin
regarding the guildlines and standards to submit the code to p4.

> 3) Is it possible for me to use p4 program to program tables in OVS . If
> so please let me know the steps on how I could do it.

As per my knowledge, currently p4 does not support OVS as a target.