[P4-dev] Reg: Ramping up P4

Mohan Krishna mohankrishna290787 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 04:51:00 EST 2016

Hi Ramana/All,

Thanks for your response. I am still doing my research and appreciate the
timely response.

 It is not possible in the current state for us to "configure" new
> protocol/control flows using Controller? Is my understanding correct?
> Will this be possible in future ?

Yes, you can do that. You can write your own protocol and add rules through
your own control plane. P4 is meant for that.

1)   Coming back to this point. According to P4, there are
"Configuration"(Setting up parser and Match-Actions for new protocols) &
"Runtime"(Providing Table entries). Runtime table entries could be added to
the switch using p4Ofagent. However if I have to implement new protocol
using P4, the program has to be compiled each time and it exists along with
the switch. Is it possible to "configure" the switch using openflow ?

SDN Controller (Configure .p4)

      |Openflow 1.X

   switch

My understanding is, this is not currently possible, an extension to
openflow for the Forwarding instruction set is required (Similar to POF).
Is my understanding correct ? Will this be possible in the future ?

Thanks & Regards,
Mohan