[P4-dev] Error with sswitch_runtime

Antonin Bas antonin at barefootnetworks.com
Tue Mar 15 14:17:00 EDT 2016

Hi David,

I made a few changes recently in the build system for bmv2: fixed "make
install" and "make dist".
Assuming you are just cloning the repository, cd'ing into it, and running
./autogen.sh + ./configure, nothing should have changed. I just tried on a
fresh clone and it worked fine. If you are running ./configure from a
different repository (autotools VPATH build), then you may get the error
you are seeing. What you can do is figure out where sswitch_runtime Python
package is generated and add its location to your PYTHONPATH. Note that now
that "make install" is supported, you can simply install everything on your
machine (this will become the preferred way in the future, as bmv2
stabilizes). The CLI will then be installed as simple_switch_CLI (and the
switch as simple_switch). More precisely, when running "make install", the
following binaries are installed:
bm_CLI  bm_nanomsg_events  bm_p4dbg  simple_switch  simple_switch_CLI

Let me know if you have further questions,

Antonin