[P4-dev] Error on building soft switch with openflow agent

Antonin Bas antonin at barefootnetworks.com
Tue Nov 8 12:31:46 EST 2016

Hi Tanja,

Now that switch.p4 is leveraging the P4 "range" match type, it can no
longer be compiled for bmv1 (p4c-behavioral), and we should be removing
bmv1 from p4lang very soon.
The "range" match type is supported by the new version of the
behavioral-model, aka bmv2 (https://github.com/p4lang/behavioral-model).
You should be able to compile switch.p4 with OF support for bmv2 (outside
of p4factory). Unfortunately, I did not find step-by-step instructions, but
is should basically be as follows:
- install bmv2 (https://github.com/p4lang/behavioral-model). The configure
script needs to be run with --with-pdfixed.
- install the bmv2 compiler (
https://github.com/p4lang/p4c-bm/tree/master/p4c_bm/)
- install the OF agent (https://github.com/p4lang/p4ofagent). You need to
export CPPFLAGS=-D_BMV2_ when doing this.
- compile switch (https://github.com/p4lang/switch). You need to run
configure with --with-bmv2 and --with-of. If you are missing any
dependency, you should get an error at this point.
If you run into an issue for one of these steps, please reach out to us.