[P4-dev] reserved word primitive_action_declaration

Antonin Bas antonin at barefootnetworks.com
Mon Nov 21 13:35:39 EST 2016

Hi,

Two important things:
- P4 1.1 has been deprecated. We never fully made the transition from P4
1.0 (now referred to as P4_14) and the new P4_16 will be released very soon.
- As far as the P4_14 specification is concerned, we have decided to remove
the ability to declare hardware-specific primitive actions in the P4
program itself (please see an explanation in this Github thread:
https://github.com/p4lang/p4-hlir/issues/17)
However, there is another way to declare your own primitive actions, so
that the P4_14 compiler can be made aware of them. You need to declare them
in a JSON file like this:
https://github.com/p4lang/p4c-bm/blob/master/p4c_bm/primitives.json. I
recommend declaring your custom primitives in a separate file, e.g.
my_primitives.json. You can then provide this JSON file to a compiler
binary (p4-graphs or p4c-bmv2 support this, but not p4-validate
unfortunately) using "--primitives my_primitives.json". For example, when
compiling for bmv2:
p4c-bmv2 prog.p4 --primitives my_primitives.json --json prog.json
If you intend to run your P4 program in bmv2, you will of course need to
*implement* your new primitive action in C++. The easiest way to do that is
to modify the simple_switch target code in the bmv2 repo and add your new
primitive implementation there:
https://github.com/p4lang/behavioral-model/blob/master/targets/simple_switch/primitives.cpp.
If that's what you are looking to do, you should probably read that thread
for more information:
http://lists.p4.org/pipermail/p4-dev_lists.p4.org/2016-May/000308.html