[P4-dev] where to add_header?

Antonin Bas antonin at barefootnetworks.com
Sun Sep 25 16:21:32 EDT 2016

Hi,

In this simple example, we assume that we do not receive packets with the
cpu_header. However, we need the cpu_header to appear in the parse graph,
otherwise the deparser will not know where to insert it in an outgoing
packet. The cpu_header needs to come right before the ethernet header in
the topological sorting. Therefore we need to make sure that in the parse
graph there exists a ethernet->cpu_header transition. This is why we have
the following parse state:
parser parse_cpu_header {
    extract(cpu_header);
    return parse_ethernet;
}
If we do not reference this parse state anywhere, it will be removed by the
compiler (unused object). Therefore, we add a *dummy transition* from the
start state to parse_cpu_header. This is why we use current(0, 64)==0 for
our transition. We assume that regular ethernet packets won't start with 8
bytes of 0s and that this transition will never be used. However, because
there exists a transition, the compiler will not remove our parse state.

More generally, if you have two headers A and B. For incoming packets A is
always followed immediately by B. In our pipeline, we sometimes add a third
header C. C will never appear in an incoming packet. However, we want the
deparser to be able to emit C, right between A and B. Then we need to use
the following P4 code:
parser parse_A {
    extract(A);
    return select(*x*) {
        *y*: parse_C;  // dummy transition (make sure *y* is not a valid
value for *x*)
        default: parse_B:
}
parser parse_B {
    extract(B);
    // ...
}
parser parse_C  {
    extract(C);
    return parse_B;
}

In the next P4 version (P4-16), this "hack" won't be needed any more as the
language will offer a way to explicitly define deparser code.