[P4-dev] General question on P4

Andy Fingerhut andy.fingerhut at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 17:52:15 EDT 2017

In case it isn't obvious, max packet rate that you can achieve in an ASIC
turns into a significant difference in cost when buying the equipment and
paying the power bill for a network.

Suppose you have a choice of a programmable ASIC that goes at 2 billion
packets per second, and an NPU that goes up to 200 million packets per
second, and they both cost roughly the same amount and consume the same
power.

You have some part of a data center connecting a bunch of hosts together
where you decide that kind of programmability is important.  You do some
calculations to determine those hosts need 200 billion packets per second
of forwarding capacity between them.

Do you want buy and provide power for 200/2 = 100 fast programmable ASICs,
or 200/.2 = 1,000 programmable NPUs?

Andy