[P4-dev] General question on P4

Andy Fingerhut andy.fingerhut at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 17:44:36 EDT 2017

Except for one thing, everything you said sounds good to me.

The one exception is that I haven't heard the term NPU used to include the
part of the system that runs the control plane code.  In my experience
those are called Supervisor CPUs, control plane CPU, or route processor
CPU, but no matter which of those names you call them, they tend to be
off-the-shelf PowerPC, MIPS, Intel, or Arm CPUs, the same kind you would
find in servers or embedded devices.

NPU I have usually heard to mean some kind of highly programmable device
that is tailored for packet forwarding, similar to the categories of ASICs
you mention for packet forwarding.  Often they are even more flexible in
what they can do, but at a significant cost in lower packet rate per chip
than other networking ASICs.  They often allow even more flexibility than
even the programmable ASICs, e.g. can run code that processes every byte of
the payload, whereas even the programmable networking ASICs tend to focus
on flexibility in packet headers.

Andy